Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Our Lake Pontchartrain


On the edges of the lake,
there are cars that blast music
on the fourth of July.
Half naked gangsters
talk loudly to flabby stomached
black women
with the ends of their braids dyed blonde.
They sling beer cans to their mouths
and shout
and laugh
and pucker black lips in backseats.

Ten years ago, 2002,
my mother confessed
She wanted to kill herself
at the lake,
but she couldn’t,
so instead
we sat silent
on the rims of our seats
watching the crusts of the lake.

The gangsters had kites
and they watched them glide across
the blue above.
Music sprayed out of the cars
covering everyone with sound
until they didn’t know
that anything
at all
could be happening.
We watched their puddle of ecstasy
for hours that year.

It is 2012,
and in a bland moment
of inconsequence
I stick my toes into the darker sand
and my soul into the sounds,
the water,
and the sky.

The depths tell their secret,
and then I know
how very odd it is
that the lake did not suffocate
my dear old
black mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment