Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pay Your Rent

A fresh sheet of white paper graced my front door this afternoon.
"PAY YOUR RENT, FARRELL!"
I sighed and pulled my hat off my head. Sighing again, I twisted the knob of gold and the door opened.
"Hey dude."
"Yo."
"You see the sign out front? You gonna pay rent?"
"Yea, I see the sign." In my fist was a wad of money; crisp, crisp bills. Fresh from the ATM.
"Here's your fuckin' money."
I threw the papers in the air and they swayed and spun. Radiated that freshly minted tang of dollar that follows from the press.
They hadn't all come to rest yet at the bottom of the stairs before I was at the top. I gazed down the staircase from my right eye and saw my roommate on his knees picking up the dollars.
"And I won't do it again! This is the last time you get any money from me you bastard!"
He looked confused. He squinted in disbelief up at me.
I slammed MY door shut. And blew the roof off MY house.

No comments:

Post a Comment